Lamotrigine

Hey all, I hope you guys are having a good evening (or whatever time of day you’re seeing this). I recently got diagnosed with Bipolar Type II and was prescribed Lamotrigine, and I’m feeling pretty anxious about it. A lot of the stuff I’ve been seeing online basically says there’s little to no reported side effects, but I’ve also been seeing a decent amount of post where people said they felt drowsy or agitated. If any of you have tried or are currently on Lamotrigine and could offer some advice that would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there,

First off, I want to say that it’s completely understandable to feel anxious about starting a new medication like Lamotrigine, especially when you’re encountering mixed information online. It’s great that you’re reaching out for support and other people’s experiences, as it can really help to hear from others who’ve been in a similar situation.

While I’m not a doctor, I know that Lamotrigine is commonly used to treat Bipolar Type II and can be effective for many people. However, individual responses to medication can vary. Drowsiness and agitation are possible side effects for some individuals, but not everyone will experience these. It’s also important to remember that online forums and groups often have more posts regarding negative experiences, as people tend to seek support or solutions for issues rather than posting when things are going well.

The best advice I can offer is to closely monitor how you feel as you start the medication and be honest and open with your healthcare provider. They can provide the most personalized advice and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan.

Also, remember to give yourself time to adjust to the medication. It can take a while for your body to get used to it and for you to feel the full benefits. And of course, support from us here on SupportGroups, can be incredibly valuable, so keep reaching out and sharing your experiences.

Take care and I hope Lamotrigine works well for you.
-SG